Saturday, January 31, 2009

Is the grass truly greener on the other side?

Do you ever feel that you're always getting the short end of the stick? Or do you constantly compare your life to others' lives? We are bombarded with daily images of the posh lifestyles of celebrities. Their expensive wardrobes and status can entice even the happiest person to drool over such luxury. But by thinking about the world as a whole, you'll find that your own life is wealthy beyond compare. Make a short list of some of your overlooked privileges. Owning a car (or two!), having access to television, computers, drinkable water, a respectable wage at your job, and all of the freedoms you enjoy that are a foreign idea to many people around the world. Be grateful for your life and over time maybe you will see that your plot in life is someone else's "greener grass."

This was in my email, for a reflection quote.. aren't we all guilty of looking over on the other side and thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence? "If only I had XYZ, I'd be happier" mentality. I've been broke and living in a van for 2 years, and I was happy. I've had money and living in a large house, and I was unhappy. I guess its what you make with life.. External circumstances is not what makes you happy - its what you do with the circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment