Slavery rears its ugly head again in the United States - bet you thought slavery was a dead dog, lying in the mire of yesteryear.
A bill, introduced by Charlie Rangel (D-NY), will turn US citizens into slaves for the government. How? By *obligatory* service, either in the military, or civilian service.
To require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, and for other purposes.
This was introduced, and was given to the Committee on Armed Services. Right now I wish I had Cspan-3, as they cover the committees.
(3) The term ‘national service’ means military service or service in a civilian capacity that, as determined by the President, promotes the national defense, including national or community service and service related to homeland security.
And he's bringing back the draft. Fun, ain't it? The civilian service is for 2 years, but that can be extended, for compensating any time lost for training for any cause. Also by the consent of the member, in case of emergency. Lovely, isn't it? What if they give you a year's training time? that is THREE years spent in gov't service.
You would be mentally and physically examined to see if you are fit for service, either military (normal) or civilian service.
You're a conscientious objector? Tuff bunnies. You're out of luck. There is *no* objector status for the civilian slavery. You can in the military, then they will put you in a non-combat job. When I was in the Navy, a guy said he was a conscientious objector, said he would not work for the military. Last I knew, he was picking up trash on base.
The bill says:
SEC. 109. CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTION.
(a) Claims as Conscientious Objector- Nothing in this title shall be construed to require a person to be subject to combatant training and service in the uniformed services, if that person, by reason of sincerely held moral, ethical, or religious beliefs, is conscientiously opposed to participation in war in any form.
(b) Alternative Noncombatant or Civilian Service- A person who claims exemption from combatant training and service under subsection (a) and whose claim is sustained by the local board shall--
(1) be assigned to noncombatant service (as defined by the President), if the person is inducted into the uniformed services; or
(2) be ordered by the local board, if found to be conscientiously opposed to participation in such noncombatant service, to perform national civilian service for the period specified in section 104(a) and subject to such regulations as the President may prescribe.
There are no co-sponsors to this crazy bill. Here is a link to the Committee on Armed Services. See if one of your congresscritters are on there, and contact them to get rid of this nutso bill.
Hey, maybe Obama is going to do something about (the real rate) of unemployment, and just make people work for the government. And! how do they propose to PAY these people that are working for the government in civilian service? By higher deficit? 2/3 of all monies going out of the gov't are for entitlements...just what we need. More government, and more spending, and more spending MONEY WE DON'T HAVE.
Funny, I spend money I don't have, and the bank levies a $35 charge on my account. The government overspends, and there is no consequence whatsoever. Flogging! that's the answer. Any deficit spending, the congress/senate/president gets flogged.. publicly. 39 lashes. EACH.
The 13th Amendment proscribes what Rangel is proposing, as far as a civilian force goes:
Amendment 13 - Slavery Abolished. Ratified 12/6/1865.
1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
2 years ago