Thursday, November 10, 2011

Christmas is on its way

I can't believe, the Christmas stuff has already taken over stores for the past month almost, and its' not even Thanksgiving. Next thing you know they'll be setting up displays around the 4th of July for Christmas!

How many of you love Christmas carols? I sure do - I grew up with records that my parents had - Bing, Perry, Hawaiian War chant (ok so i used to be able to sing that word for word) plus others. My parents listened to quite a few diverse types of music, ranging from big band to polka.

Here is one of my favorite songs, The Twelve Days of Christmas, only "as sung by Red Green"



Our church Thanksgiving dinner is coming up on the 20th of this month, and I am considering looking for a Turducken to bring, along with a regular roasted turkey.
A turducken is a dish consisting of a de-boned chicken stuffed into a de-boned duck, which itself is stuffed into a de-boned turkey. the only bones left in a turducken, are the leg bones sticking out of the legs - so it *looks* like a regular turkey, but surprise! when you slice into it. Also in the recipe I have (out of a Paul Prudhomme cookbook) there are three types of stuffings/dressings in it- one inside the chicken, one between chicken & duck, and another between duck and turkey. I've seen them in the freezer up at Prasek's in Hillje (they are even online, and sell gift boxes - I highly recommend them for any of their food) and they are not too highly priced. If you can, get the box of stuffed chicken breasts - We love them. Haven't tried the ones with cornbread dressing in them, but the ones with regular bread stuffing in them are tops!

I was browsing Armistice Day, and came across a World War I site. Quite interesting! Here is the link >> http://www.firstworldwar.com/ If you click on the left side "propaganda" you can view posters from various countries (select the country on the right side). I am browsing the US posters - to get to the next poster, click on the poster, and the next one will pop up. the US has 4 pages of posters. Some interesting ones there.

In Flanders Fields
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)


In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

2 comments:

  1. Diane:
    I love the RED-GREEN song...got to meet him a couple years back...great guy!
    And I also can't believe the CHRISTMAS stuff all over the stores...ALREADY!!!
    I mean WTH?!

    Used to be THANKSGIVING was the "kickoff" to the holiday season, but now, here in Ft. Wayne, "Santa" is showing up at a mall out west THIS weekend...?!?
    C'MON now...this is too soon (imho).

    Flanders Field has a special place in my heart...had to memorize that (and recite it in class) when I was in grade school.

    Yeah, we used to do weird stuff like that back in the day...

    Excellent post.

    Stay safe down there.
    (and feel free to share ANY recipes for the holidays...yum!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Green is so fun to watch - Handyman's corner...Adventures with Bill.

    And yes, I do have a recipe. will post it asap!

    ReplyDelete