Saturday, February 7, 2009

Some old stuff from Pisa, Italy

I was talking to a friend today, and he found this, the The Camposanto Monumentale cemetary in Pisa. Has some great pictures, and a great way to see some history. This area took a lot of shelling during WW2, as did Montecassino.

Which got me to thinking back about my father. He joined the Navy when he was 17, and was shipped overseas to occupied Japan, where he learned to like warm beer - he said the breweries were still putting out beer, however, there was no ICE.. hence the warm beer. He had some little keepsakes from there, a newspaper, and some chopsticks from his time over there. When we moved into our house, up on a shelve above the fridge area, way in the back was a teeny vase, about two inches tall, stamped "made in Occupied Japan" on the bottom. So now it sits in my hutch, along with my other things of interest (a painted goose egg, and various plates and things I've picked up along the way).

No comments:

Post a Comment